We recommend you apply as early as possible and at least 8 weeks in advance for appointments during June to September.
The long vacation is often busy as it is a time when academic researchers are free to do research, overseas visitors visit the UK and Oxford for conferences, and staff are required to take leave.
Applying for admission - Not currently possible
Please email or write in advance to explain why you need access, as we cannot admit you without an appointment.
- Graduate and undergraduate students must supply a letter (on headed paper) from their supervisor or referee confirming they need access for their studies. Academics should bring a letter of introduction.
- Your application should include information about the material, such as shelf marks/call numbers for early printed books or catalogue numbers for manuscripts where possible. (Read about Catalogues and Special Collections.)
- If you can view the material elsewhere and/or in another form (i.e. digital, microfilm), please explain why you need access to the physical item at Corpus.
- Check below for details of planned library closures so you can request an appointment on appropriate days.
- If you get an appointment, please read At Your Appointment (below) and ensure you bring correct ID.
The College reserves the right not to admit readers who don't satisfy the registration procedure.
Please note: Information regarding appointments and research requests is collected and processed according to the General Data Protection Regulation and associated data protection legislation.
APPOINTMENT TIMES - Not currently available
Early Printed Books - Currently closed
Wednesday to Friday | 10am – 12.45pm, 2.15pm – 4.45pm
Manuscripts and Archives - Currently closed
Tuesday | 9.30am – 1pm, 2.30pm – 4.45pm
Wednesday | 10 am – 1pm, 2.15pm – 4.45pm
Archives staff are only at Corpus from Monday to Wednesday.
Please wait for us to confirm your appointment(s) before making travel arrangements.
Library and Archives annual closures - Currently closed due to the ongoing Covid-19 situation
- Between Christmas and New Year
- Over four-day Easter weekend
- Two weeks in August for stock check and maintenance
At your appointment
Please arrive on time and bring photo ID, plus proof of your signature and residential address.
- Passport, national/state ID card or driving licence
- Alternative ID such as British Library Reader Pass or County Archive Research Network (CARN readers’ ticket) can be accepted with additional proof of permanent address.
- Institutional ID, including Oxford University and Bodleian cards, is not enough.
- Academics should bring a letter of introduction.
We scan your ID and registration form, and keep the copies on a secure server. We cannot grant access until your registration form is completed, and your ID confirmed and scanned.